RESOURCE PLAYS

Recent advances in horizontal drilling and completion techniques have opened a vast supply of oil and gas resources to economic development.
McDaniel & Associates is actively evaluating all major resource plays in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin (WCSB) on behalf of our clients who are leading development and pushing technology in many of these plays.

Natural Gas

  • CBM
  • Glauconitic
  • Deep Basin Cretaceous
  • Montney
  • Horn River
  • Duvernay

Oil

  • Cardium
  • Viking
  • Bluesky
  • Shaunavon
  • Bakken
  • Slave Point

CONVENTIONAL

While the majority of current capital projects are directed towards modern “unconventional” resource plays there remains in excess of 200,000 producing conventional wells in the WCSB which form a large part of base production and value for many E&P companies in Canada. McDaniel has amassed a wealth of experience with 60 years of evaluating conventional reserves in this basin. All of the wells depicted have been evaulated by McDaniel & Associates and resides within our proprietary geological database.

Map of canada with all the wells that McDaniel & Associates have interpreted.

OIL SANDS

The Canadian Oil Sands are one of the largest and most significant unconventional hydrocarbon resources in the world today. Alberta’s remaining proven oil reserves of 170 billion barrels includes a contribution of 168 billion barrels from the oil sands. Canada’s proven oil reserves are 13 percent of total global oil reserves. Production as of 2015 was approximately 2.1 million barrels per day from the oil sands. There are four main oil sands regions including Athabasca, Peace River, Cold Lake and Saskatchewan. The greatest quantity is found in the Athabasca deposit.

The oil/bitumen within the oil sands is recovered through two main methods: open pit mining and in-situ thermal recovery. Approximately 20 percent of the recoverable oil sands are recoverable through mining methods due to their depth of burial. In general, it is feasible to recover oil sands through mining methods when the depth of burial is below about 75 metres. The remaining 80 percent is too deep to mine and must be recovered using thermal recovery techniques such as Cyclic Steam Stimulation (CSS) and Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD).

McDaniel & Associates has been evaluating oil sands resources and production since the start of the very first commercial SAGD project in Canada. With our experience in evaluating the majority of projects presently under development, McDaniel is at the forefront of evaluation methodologies and practices.

  • Athabasca
    Wabiskaw-McMurray
  • Athabasca
    Grand Rapids
  • Cold Lake
    Clearwater
  • Peace River
    Bluesky-Gething
  • Saskatchewan
    Upper Mannville Deposits
  • Grosmont Carbonate

INTERNATIONAL

McDaniel & Associates’ oil and gas consulting expertise spans over 70 countries covering many of the most important hydrocarbon basins around the world. In order to provide dedicated services for our international clients, we formed McDaniel International Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of McDaniel & Associates, which works exclusively with properties outside of Canada.

McDaniel International’s staff are located both in Calgary, Canada and in Guildford, United Kingdom which allows them to travel to our clients’ offices or field locations virtually anywhere in the world at short notice.

McDaniel International has experience in preparing reserves and resources evaluations using different reserves definitions and security exchange rules, and for a variety of fiscal systems in different countries.

McDaniel Evaluation Experience

Click and drag to rotate the earth.

McDaniel Offices

CLIENTS

In its 60 year history, McDaniel & Associates has earned a reputation for consistent and reliable oil and gas consulting services. As a result, we have the confidence of the world’s leading E&P and Financial companies. Please contact us for a list of our clients and recent projects.